This soup can be done without adding milk or cream which makes it suitable for vegans. Just add more pumpkin and it will add to the overall texture of the soup after it is blended.
- 600ml Soup stock
- 1 kg Pumpkin (diced)
- 2 sticks of celery (diced)
- 10g of butter (substitute with olive oil for vegans)
- 10g of flour
- Milk or cream (optional)
- Pinch of ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of ground Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
- With medium heat, heat butter till it melted.
- Add the diced celery and fry till translucent.
- Add diced pumpkin and stir till soften and browned.
- Turn heat down, add the flour in and stir well. This is to make a roux so that the soup can become creamy later on. Make sure to stir well so that the flour is incorporated, cooked flour gives a nutty flavour. Add a pinch of salt to season.
- Add soup stock in, stir well.
- Blend mixture with an immersion blender or you can transfer into a blender. Be careful as it’s hot.
- Add the spices (cinnamon and nutmeg), salt and pepper to taste.
- A splash of milk or cream can be added at this stage if a more creamy texture is desired.
- Serve warm with toasted bread.